The Wild Hunt -- October 13th, 2018
The nights are dark and cold winds blow as the seasons begin to turn. The Hounds are restless and call impatiently for the Hunt Master. Join us for a day of fun, fighting, and unique challenges as Woden lets loose the Wild Hunt. Can you successfully complete Woden's challenges and outrun the Hunt, or will you be destined to join the Hunt Master's ranks?
Any member of the Wild Hunt may challenge any member of the general populace. If that populace wins the challenge, they are saved from the Hunt and allowed to go about their day in complete freedom. If they lose, they are assimilated into the Hunt, becoming a member and able to issue challenges of their own.
Challenges can be anything from a thumb wrestle to a pick up fight to 'best of' of your choosing. Be creative and have fun! Prepare yourself physically and mentally to overcome the many challenges and rule the day! Because, seriously, if you make it through the day without being assimilated, you are a Deity in your own right!
- 8:00 am: Site opens for set up. NO vehicles allowed on the field. Please bring alternate conveyances. Please follow signs for loading/unloading.
- 9:00 am: Troll opens. Inspections begin
- 10:00 am: Opening Salutations
- 10:30 am - 4:30 pm: Fighting and archery opens, Iron A&S begins, Challenges issued and accepted, Games available, FUN TIMES!!
- Noon: Lunch is served. Bring your own feast gear and load up on this delectable feast.
- 5:00-ish pm: Closing Court
- 8:00 pm: Site closes.
- General fighting: Anyone who is suitably armored, inspected, and checked in with the MOL may perform hunt challenges on the field. Challenges are left to the discretion of the challenger but MUST follow all safety rules of the field. Some examples: for rapier, best two out of three, with the challenger using a pillow and dagger and the challengee using single sword; for armored, the challenge being five points, the challenger may score on any legal target area, the challengee may only score on hits on the head.
- There will be special rules bear pits running on both fields. Fights will be preempted by Hunt Challenges and Bardic Performances
- Armored fighting special rules: The tournament format will be "knock the crown off." The defender will have a topper on their help that will need to be removed for the challenger to win.
- Rapier fighting special rules: The tournament format will be the defender shall have a pool noodle 'rapier' (and will be a touch kill) and shall take on two challengers at one time. All combatants shall receive a point for anyone they kill.
- Unarmored Fighting: For people who are not properly authorized or armored, we will have pool noodles and goggles available for pool noodle challenges. Hobby horses will also be available for jousting challenges.
- Modified Archery: We can't bring regular archery gear on-site. So, instead, and in the spirit of fun, we're planning for a special cornhole-style event using specially made bean-bag throwing crossbows. Wander by, challenge another attendee to a friendly competition!
Arts & Sciences:
- BEST FIX COMPETITION! As we have all made mistakes, this competition is an opportunity to display how well you FIXED that mistake. Bring your best fix (on a scroll, garb, leather, whatever).
- MINI IRON A&S: Not your typical Iron A&S challenge. For this event, you and your partner will get a bag of random stuffs from which you will need to make 'something' period in less than 4 hours. Documentation is required. However, you will only be allowed to cite wikipedia and will only have 30 minutes to consult said online documentation.
- BARDIC: The theme for Bardic event during The Wild Hunt will be "confrontations with the fae". Bring your best story or song about dealings with the Good People, whether won or lost. Performances will be on the fighting fields, as is proper for the theme. All who participate will be awarded tokens of appreciation, but the real challenge of the day is, of course, to escape the clutches of the Wild Hunt yourself! Please contact Lady Ailleann O'Meighan with any questions (thedragonhand AT gmail.com).
Adult, Event Registration: $23.00 Day-Trip $0.00 Feast $0.00 Camping
Adult, Member Discount: $18.00 Day-Trip $0.00 Feast $0.00 Camping
Youth (5-17): $7.00 Day-Trip $0.00 Feast $0.00 Camping
Child (0-4): $0.00 Day-Trip $0.00 Feast $0.00 Camping
Make Checks Payable To: SCA, Inc., Barony of Ponte Alto
Cost Notes: Site fee includes lunch. We will guarantee lunch to everyone who pre-registers and will then open it up to first-come, first-served. We highly recommend you pre-register as this delectable feast includes a variety of sausages and cheeses. Vegetarian options will also be available.
Site: Calvary Church 8220 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003. Site opens 9am, closes 8pm.
Site Restrictions: NO ALCOHOL. NO TOBACCO. Please be mindful of these restrictions as this is a new site for us, and we would like the option to return.
Feast: Lunch is included to all pre-registered attendees and on a first-come, first- served basis after. Please consider preregistration.
Merchanting: Merchants are welcome. Contact the autocrat for information.
List Field Space: For space on the list field, contact Vadoma (justvadoma AT gmail.com). Please note, no vehicles will be allowed on the field where the list field will be located. Please come prepared to quickly unload and transport your pavilions via alternate means.
Autocrat: Vadoma (Marlene Martineau), 969 Ferndale Avenue, Herndon, VA 20170, Phone: (435) 232-1387, E-mail: justvadoma AT gmail.com
Reservations: Astrid (Katie Bischoff), 25829 Turlough Terrace, Chantilly, VA 20152, E-mail: exchequer AT pontealto.atlantia.sca.org
Directions: Take your best route to I495. Head west off Exit 52A. Calvary Church is about 1/2 mile on the right (north) side.
Last Updated: 9/23/2018 by Ronan